The following is an update from UFCW Local 1500 regarding the A&P/Pathmark bankruptcy proceedings. This update includes all actions that have occurred since our last update on Sunday November 13th, 2011:
UFCW Local 1500 recently conducted a conference call with our International Legal Department, our Regional Directors and all local unions holding Collective Bargaining Agreements with A&P/Pathmark and its other banners.
The purpose of the discussion was to set-up times and the methodology needed to implement ratification and the reporting of results regarding the modifications of our current Contracts.
The following was discussed and decided:
- The Bankruptcy Court has not yet received the final Term Sheets laying out changes to each Local's contract from several Local Unions. That is causing a legal delay in discussing the contract modifications with the Pathmark membership. Please understand that because the Bankruptcy Court has not yet placed its official seal on the negotiations, we have not been permitted to discuss details of the agreement.
- As far as the voting process is concerned, all UFCW/RWDSU Local Unions agreed that the ballots will be worded in line with appropriate terminology so as to reflect whether the situation is a contract modification or the enactment of new contract provisions.
- Ballot language will be provided by our International Legal Department. All Local Unions voted unanimously that the ballots cast by all Unions will be combined and counted in the aggregate.
- The specific process regarding the vote will be left to the individual Locals. Information regarding Local 1500's voting process is being released to the membership.
- Local 1500 must print ballots, create a document, identify changes in the Contract, establish a voting procedure and provide adequate notice to the members. All of that work is being done now.
All of this work will get done despite the added complication that next week marks Thanksgiving, which is an extremely busy period in stores. The timing is not conducive to stopping work and casting ballots next week..
Members should continue to stay focused, united and informed. We will give you all the facts as soon as the Bankruptcy Court permits us to do so. Please do not believe the rumors you might hear and report them to your union delegate. Follow our updates on the union website and under our Facebook page.