We're excited to announce we are accepting applications to join our Union Organizing team! This posting is exclusive to UFCW Local 1500 members. Check out the job posting below and if you're interested, send in your application!
—JOB POSTING —
Job title: Union Organizer
Position location: Westbury, NY
Start Date: As soon as possible
The United Food and Commercial Workers Local 1500 is the largest grocery retail union in New York with over 20,000 members working in grocery stores, pharmacies, and other industry jobs. We are a committed to building a powerful union that fights for economic, political, and social justice in our workplaces and communities. We are seeking a self-motivated, skilled and enthusiastic person to join our Organizing team.
Main Function: To identify, recruit and develop workers in the work place and greater community. This includes engaging workers at or near their work place, areas of public transit and the community.
Principal duties and requirements:
• Labor, political, or community activism/organizing experience required.
• Build one-on-one relationships with workers.
• Recruit and develop the leadership ability of workplace leaders and worker committees.
• Motivate individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
• Engage workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
• Coordinate with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
• Commitment to social justice and worker's rights required.
• Willingness to conduct house visits and store visits.
• Ability to engage and inspire people regardless of religion, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, language, class and/or experiences is required.
• Must be flexible and willing to work long irregular hours, early mornings, evenings, and weekends
• Must have a reliable insured car and valid driver's license.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced team environment.
• Basic writing and computer skills, general knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Preferably live centrally within Local 1500’s jurisdiction.
• Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Bilingual speaking (Spanish) is preferred.
This position offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Full time position is subject to a probation period of six months.
E-mail cover letter and resume with subject line “Union Organizer” to email@example.com. Please be as specific as possible in cover letter with experience and skills that you have and include why you want to be a Union Organizer for UFCW Local 1500. No mail applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Position will remain open until filled.
The United Food & Commercial Workers Local 1500 is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Have a great day,
UFCW Local 1500