Quick and Aggressive First Steps Taken to Assist Workers.
QUEENS VILLAGE, NY (01/22/2009; 1253)-- United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1500 is responding as quickly and aggressively as possible in response to the news that the King Kullen Supermarket located at 2660 Hylan Blvd. in the New Dorp section Staten Island will be closing in late February of this year, according to Local Union President Bruce W. Both.
"We are extremely concerned about our members who work in that store and will do everything within our power to minimize the effect this store closing has on them and their families," Both concluded. "Furthermore, this is another example of why New York City quickly must move on economic reforms to encourage the preservation and development of Supermarkets. This is a crisis that strikes at the heart of the economic viability of all communities," Both concluded.
President Both outlined the Unions first responses to the store closing announcement:
- Notifying King Kullen of its legal obligations under both Federal and State WARN Acts, the law covering the closing of such facilities.
- Enforcement of the Unions Collective Bargaining Agreement with regard to seniority.
- Contacting other Supermarket operators who may be interested in the soon to be vacant location
- Outreach to Local elected leaders at the City and State level for assistance
- Possible Placement of members within other Unionized Supermarkets.
In addition to these efforts, President Both called on King Kullen management to rethink its decision to close the store. "Just over one year ago this store was a Pathmark Supermarket. Many of the workers there today are Pathmark holdovers and have been in the industry for over 20 years," Both commented. "We urge the company to reconsider its decision and continue to fulfill its commitment to making the Hylan Boulevard store the success we all know it can be, "concluded Both.
United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1500, based out of Queens Village, represents over 23,000 grocery workers in New York City, Long Island, Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties. Members of Local 1500 are employed by Pathmark, King Kullen, Stop and Shop, Gristedes, Fairway, D'Agostino, Key Food and Shop Rite, Dairy Barn.