As you may have heard, members of Local 1-2 of the Utility Workers Union of America (UWUA) have been locked out by Con Edison since Sunday, July 1, 2012. The workers’ contracts expired, and despite being prepared to stay on the job and work past contract, they were locked out.
This is a blatant attack on hard working Americans, a blow to working families, and is something that our labor movement cannot tolerate.
Local unions, community groups, members, and activists, have all joined together and have pickets at locations throughout the New York City.
With over 8,000 workers locked out, Con Edison is now short staffed leaving many neighborhoods in New York City with power outages because there are only 5,000 “managers” that are taking over the jobs of the locked out workers. In addition, 5 managers have gotten injured trying to do the hard labor of the workers that they’re not used to doing.
We stand with the over 8,000 locked out workers from ConEd, and we will not stand by as workers' rights continue to be trampled in our country. Below are picket locations we will be sending UFCW Local 1500 Representatives to show our support for our brothers and sisters!
If you live near one of the locations and want to support your union brothers and sisters, get in touch with us by replying to this email or calling 800.522.0456 ext. 11341.
In addition to showing solidarity on the picket line the New York State AFL-CIO is asking people to sign a petition showing that we are all standing with the workers in the lockout! Please click here to sign the petition! If you’re a Con-Ed customer, the UWUA is encouraging people to file a complaint with the NYS Department of Public Service. Click here for a sample letter and the ability to send a complaint online!
UWUA Local 1-2 Locket Support Locations (Bolded Locations Prioritized)
• 24 Hours- 4 Irving Place, New York, NY 10003- 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R trains to 14th Street/Union Square
• 8am-5pm- 16th Street Yard – 16th Street and Avenue C, New York, NY- L train to 14th Street
• 8am-5pm- 28th Street Yard- 28th Street and 11th Avenue, New York, NY- C train to 23rd Street
• 24 hours- 3rd Avenue Yard- 222 1st Street, Brooklyn, NY- D, N, R trains to President Street/4th Avenue
• 8am-5pm- 30 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (Monday thru Friday) – 2 train to Nevins St
• 24 hours- College Point Yard- 124-15 31st Avenue, Queens, NY- Q65, Q65L buses to College Point Boulevard & 31st Avenue
• 24 hours- Astoria Yard- 31-01 20th Avenue, Astoria NY- N train to Astoria/Ditmars
• 8am-5pm 88-11 165th Street, Jamaica, NY- F train to 169th Street
• 24 hours- Van Nest Yard- 1601 Bronxdale Avenue, Bronx, NY- 2 train to Bronx Park East
• 24 hours- Bruckner Yard- 1560 Bruckner Boulevard, Bronx, NY- 6 train to Westchester/Morrison Avenue
• 24 hours- Eastview- 315 Old Saw Mill River Road, Valhalla, NY- Harlem Bee Line 17 bus to Cortlandt Town Center
• 8am-5pm- 178 Theodore Fremd Avenue, Rye, NY- Bee Line 61 Bus to Port Chester
Thank you again for supporting your union brothers and sisters, Solidarity forever.